Lechlade Historical Society Welcome to the Lechlade History Society's Website
Local History
Next Event
Future Programme
Officers and Committee
Useful Links
Contact Us


Lechlade Historical Society
The Roundhouse in about 1900
The Thames & Severn Canal
and the Inglesham Roundhouse

Inglesham Roundhouse is about half a mile west of the town centre where the Thames and Severn canal joins the river. It was one of a number of such roundhouses built for the canal lock keepers, with accommodation above and stabling for horses below.

The canal opened in 1789 creating a through route to London. Business was brisk with barges carrying both goods and passengers, but problems with leakage and adequate water supply, and the development of the railway network, made it unprofitable, and it was partially closed in 1899. Some restoration work in the early part of the 20th century allowed it to continue in use until its final closure for commercial use in 1933. The Cotswold Canal Trust has a major restoration project in hand, mainly towards the western end. Boat trips are run from Lechlade up to the Roundhouse.

Lechlade Historical Society
The Roundhouse in about 2004

(February 2009)

Back to main page | Back to Local History